Friday, October 15, 2010

How are Girl Gamers treated online?



I'm officially addicted to my PSP game, Resistance Retribution. I recently found out that you can play multiplayer online. You can even talk to people using the mic.(There's a built in mic on all PSP 3000's). Well, the first time I signed in online, I had forgotten that my name was "ElegantBeauty" until after I posted a message on the message board. My username was a dead giveaway that I was a girl. So when I started playing after I killed a guy, he got mad (which is pretty stupid). I saw him post a message on the board saying "YOU SLUT!" Yeah, some guys just can't handle being beaten by a girl. I'd be funny if it weren't so annoying.

So I changed my username and try not to speak during the game. I have a PSP 3000, and I'm not sure if the mic automatically turns on. I know I'm not alone when it comes to girl gamers. I'm sure all girl gamers experienced being harassed or treated differently at least once when they've played online. It's even worse on XBox live. (another reason why I prefer a PS3). Here's a comment I found of a female who plays on XBox Live:

"Unfortunately, there are many guys on Xbox Live who lack respect towards female gamers, whether it be as simple as doubting our abilities, or as bad as making rude sexual remarks to us. When I hear those remarks I usually ignore them and mute them. When they doubt our abilities though, it doesn’t bother me too much, because I know my abilities and it makes me feel good when the match is over and I have a higher kill spread than they do. A lot of the time, they do end up apologizing for their comments after they see me game."

I found this video showing how guys treat and talk to females on XBox live. Honestly, I found it more funny then insulting. Questions, Comments? Leave them below.

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More